Mrs. Bash

Friday, August 24, 2012

Tool # 10 Digital Citizenship

I'm very glad this was included because I think that in the past schools have treated the Internet as something outside of the scope of school. Unfortunately this means that for years kids and young adults have been using the Internet without guidance for what is appropriate. The three things I would most want my student to understand about being a digital citizan are: 1. What happens on the Internet, stays on the Internet. Forever. What you look at, who you chat with, what you post and who you tag... these can all affect your life down the road so be careful! 2. Online friends are strangers and should be treated as such. 3. Just because it is on the Internet does not make it true. I found this resource-- a lesson plan on #2 above-- http://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/lesson/talking-safely-online-4-5 and I would definitely use this sample lesson plan to help me teach this concept to kids. I think it would be powerful to add an activity where I would give students sample profiles of "kids their age" and have them discuss the person. Then I would show them a picture of "who they really are" (ie an adult they don't know) and have them discuss what they just found out, and what that helps them to understand about using the Internet. With parents, I think including in newletter tips about what to discuss with their kids about digital citizenship is a good idea. (Also, maybe talking with the parents at conferences about their child's online activity?)

No comments:

Post a Comment